KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIAN & JENNER

Friday, December 31, 2010

Kendall and Kylie on Teen Vogue

OK, we’re rolling. Quiet! Quiet!” I’ve just walked into the Jenner house, and the commanding voice of momager Kris beckons out from a halo of lights and cameras. “You’re our third shoot today,” whispers her assistant Lisa, leading me through a hall of framed family photos and into the kitchen. “We had Rachael Ray this morning, and we’re wrapping E! News now. It’s been nonstop.” Despite the fact that Keeping Up with the Kardashians, the megahit E! reality show of which the Jenner-Kardashian clan is at the center, is currently on hiatus, the family’s ultrapublic persona most certainly is not.
The day of the Teen Vogue photo shoot, every single celebrity weekly features at least one member of the family on its cover. “Revenge Romance!” declares In Touch of Kourtney Kardashian’s rocky relationship with her baby daddy. “Kourtney and Scott Elope!” Star simultaneously broadcasts. “Kim’s New Man,” announces Us Weekly. And, of course, you’d have to be blind to miss the W magazine featuring Kim completely nude, save for a few strategically placed bars.
But if you think the Kardashian clan has laid it all bare, think again. As Kim & co. approach saturation point, half siblings Kendall and Kylie Jenner are just stepping out from the wings. Teen Vogue sat down with the two youngest members of this modern-day Brady Bunch, fifteen and thirteen, respectively, to find out what life is really like growing up in one of America’s wackiest, most talked-about families—and how they’re prepping themselves for the spotlight. After keeping a relatively low profile at the outset, in the past year Kendall and Kylie have launched modeling careers (Kendall with a Forever 21 campaign; Kylie with a Sears commercial), sparked tabloid controversies (Kendall’s risqué beach shots and sultry One Call music video ring any bells?), and started commanding a lot more screen time on Keeping Up. Could their own reality show be far behind?
TEEN VOGUE: Keeping Up with the Kardashians debuted in 2007. What was your initial reaction to having your lives filmed?
KENDALL JENNER: I’ve always been a shy person, so all the attention around my family was weird in the beginning. But we’ve come out of our shells, and now it’s cool for people to see how we’ve grown.
KYLIE JENNER: It’s our lifestyle now—it’s just normal.
TEEN VOGUE: Is your family accurately portrayed on the show?
KENDALL JENNER: That’s literally us. We wake up in the morning, and the cameras are there. We go to sleep at night, and they’re still right there. It’s reality. We don’t have scripts.
TEEN VOGUE: Any moments you wish hadn’t been caught on camera?
KENDALL JENNER: I’ve looked back at episodes from the first season where I’m wearing some of the craziest stuff—like green jeans. I don’t know what I was thinking!
TEEN VOGUE: How would you describe your style now?
KYLIE JENNER: I like to mix edgy and boho. Nicole Richie has great fashion sense.
KENDALL JENNER: I’m trendy, but with an edge. At home I wear sweats. But when I go out, I’ll wear jeans and a cute jacket or a minidress. I used to wear heels more, but at five ten, I just tower over everyone, so I’ve been going for flats lately.
TEEN VOGUE: Do you have any fashion muses?
KENDALL JENNER: I love all my sisters’ styles. They can just put stuff together and make it really cute.
KYLIE JENNER: My sisters and my mom, for sure! I take ideas from all of them, and then make it my own. I especially love Kourtney’s style because she wears what she wants and she rocks it. She lets me come over to her house and pick out whatever I want. I always borrow her jeans.
KENDALL JENNER: Whenever our sisters are done with clothes, they give me and Kylie stuff. Khloé has my shoe size, so I’ve gotten some amazing Louboutins from her. And Kim gave me a black snakeskin Balenciaga bag for my birthday that I’m in love with.
TEEN VOGUE: I guess it pays to have a family full of girls! Do you two share clothes with each other?
KYLIE JENNER: Um, I wouldn’t call it sharing—more like stealing!
KENDALL JENNER: Kylie goes shopping literally every day, so I’m always finding new things in her closet.
TEEN VOGUE: Does your mom let you borrow her things?
KYLIE JENNER: Shoes and jewelry! For the Teen Choice Awards, I wore a Myne minidress with my mom’s Louboutins and vintage Chanel necklace. I’ve always loved her style. We threw a party recently, and I was like, “Mom, what are you wearing? It’s casual, right?” And she goes, “Yes, but you always have to dress over the top.” I love that!
TEEN VOGUE: So Mom earns high marks. What about Dad [retired Olympic athlete Bruce Jenner]? Does he get any points in the fashion department?
KYLIE JENNER: My dad loves sweats and comfy clothes, but when he dresses up, he has good style. He got his ears pierced last year, which makes him look a lot younger!
TEEN VOGUE: Your parents sound pretty cool. Anything you don’t see eye-to-eye on?
KENDALL JENNER: Our dad gets on us about school, curfew, boys.
KYLIE JENNER: But they’re not like, strict strict—they just care. They’re pretty awesome parents.
TEEN VOGUE: You both recently started modeling. Is that something you plan to do more of?
KENDALL JENNER: I hope so! I love everything about it, although my favorite part would have to be wearing cool clothes and getting my hair and makeup all done. My dream jobs would be Italian Vogue and anything with Chanel!
KYLIE JENNER: I’d like to try acting too, but college comes first.
TEEN VOGUE: What do you like to do outside of school?
KENDALL JENNER: I’m a cheerleader. I love sports, so it’s cool to be at every football game watching and cheering. I also horseback ride. If it’s not dark when I get home from school, I go straight to the stables.
KYLIE JENNER: I love scary movies. And I don’t do Twitter, but I’m addicted to Facebook. I go on and stalk people. I tried to quit it for six months, but then I just started signing on from friends’ accounts. I don’t know what I’d do without it!
TEEN VOGUE: Speaking of social media, your family is in the news a lot. How do you deal with all the attention?
KENDALL JENNER: We try not to listen to what people say. My sisters are always telling us, “Don’t Google yourself.”
TEEN VOGUE: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received from your sisters?
KENDALL JENNER: For boys: “Don’t trust them!”
KYLIE JENNER: And for fame: “Don’t listen to what people say, because they don’t know the truth.”
KENDALL JENNER: They always tell us, “Your friends and family know you better than the Internet does!”
TEEN VOGUE: Any plans for a reality show of your own?
KYLIE JENNER: It’s definitely something to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment